About Us

We are Angelyn, Bonnie (married to Mark), Monterey, Monica, Laurleen, Heidi (married to Stuart), Haylee,
Sara Anne (married to Sheldon), Shelley (twin to Sheldon), Sondra, Sara (twin to Sondra), LaRae (married to Adam),
Susie (married to Daniel), Tia (married to Ben), Crystel, and then there is Jared not married and is on a mission in Samoa.
We all love home and family and are in the various different stages of motherhood. Between us we have 63 children
and over 500 years of child rearing experience and that's just for now!

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A few things I've come across...


After two babies and three miscarriages, heart arrythmias and chronic lower abdominal pain, I decided I'm not as healthy as I always thought I was, or at least used to be. In my quest to be a little healthier and prepare my body for another pregnancy, I have come to learn about a few things that have seemed to help in my various ailments. For overall health, Monica introduced me to Fermented Cod Liver Oil (sounds delicious, doesn't it?) mixed with High Vitamin Butter oil. When taken together, they help enhance the other's nutrients and absorbtion into the body. (Monica, you can go into more detail, as you can explain it better than I can.) Many nutritionists say that if they could only take one nutrient supplement, this would be it because of it's ride range of benefits, including immunity boosting, EPA/DHA's, high vitamin A and D content, Quinones, and Omegas 3, 6, 7, and9. Red Raspberry Leaves is an herb that is supposed to be great for all the female things from hormones to organs to birth and delivery. Kara says she thinks it had a lot to do with her super easy labor and delivery (Input, Kara?). Catalyn is a simple multivitamin, but that has a proprietary blend of nutrients taken from cow organs (yummy!) like adrenal glands, spleen, kidney and liver. I know that sounds very unappetizing, but if you look at the cultures around the world who eat organ meats (no parts of the animal goes to waste), they are the same cultures that have perfect teeth, robust women, and zero diseases like diabetes, cancer and heart disease. (Termites, anyone?) There is another supplement, also made by Standard Process that bumped up my energy level about tenfold using the bovine thyroid, which name escapes me right now (Monica?), but was also great. Between and after my miscarriages this last year, I started having what felt like ovulation pain, so I did a little research on the internet and found that it was probably due to a lack of vitamin K. Green Leafy's are high in vitamin K, especially things like Kale and spinach. So after making some delicious Tuscan soup http://www.tuscanrecipes.com/recipes/olive-garden-zuppa-toscana.html and doubling up on the kale, I also found chllorophyll and kelp to be particularly helpful as I figured they'd be loaded with vitamin K. Just being on those two supplements has made the pain go away significantly. Acidophilus are the probiotics, or good bacteria that are found in yogurt, minus all the sugar that would also be found there, and cancel out any good yogurt might do you. Acidophlius is good for any colon/stomach/bowel/digestion issues you might encounter. My girls eat it by the spoonful, especially the apple strawberry kind. Win Win! This can be found in the refrigerated section of the health food store. For much of my adult life, and especially when I was nursing, I left evidence of my presence everywhere I went by shedding hair like a fluffy dog in the summertime. Cleaning out the hair from my hairbrush and shower drain was a daily routine. Trace minerals have pretty much cured that problem. Now the only evidence of my presence are my creaky knees and ankles when I walk. I did a little research on chia seeds, and found only good things to say about them. They are supposed to be high in soluble fiber, omega 6's, and a host of other things. They are highly hydroliphic, which means they absorb water (up to 12 thier weight), which make them keep you hydrated longer, and they help regulate the glucose (sugar) in your blood (yeah for me!). The only bad news I could find on them, was things like, people with really low blood pressure (no one that I know) should be careful, because they help lower your blood pressure. Other than that, they seem to be pretty good for you. Chef Brad has good things to say about chia in his website, too. http://www.chefbrad.com/grain/details.php?grain=Chia In front of the bag of chia seed in the picture is the actual "gel" that you get when you let the seeds soak up water for a time. Because chia seed is pretty much tasteless, you can put it in whatever you want to eat it. I like to put it in my freshly squeezed orange juice and just drink it down. It does change the texture a bit, but pretty much all I can taste is the orange juice. All of these things can be found at health food stores.

2 comments:

  1. Sondra, I read you should try Vitamin E. It is said to help getting pregnant, and that many women who have a deficiency can't get pregnant. It is also said to have a ton of other benefits, like lowering blood pressure, and healing faster. You should definitely look into it more.

    ReplyDelete