About Us

We are Angelyn, Bonnie (married to Mark), Monterey, Monica, Laurleen, Heidi (married to Stuart), Haylee,
Sara Anne (married to Sheldon), Shelley (twin to Sheldon), Sondra, Sara (twin to Sondra), LaRae (married to Adam),
Susie (married to Daniel), Tia (married to Ben), Crystel, and then there is Jared not married and is on a mission in Samoa.
We all love home and family and are in the various different stages of motherhood. Between us we have 63 children
and over 500 years of child rearing experience and that's just for now!

Friday, February 18, 2011

Motherhood is for the birds

There's been a growing concern in this world about overpopulation. I hear about it everywhere. Mostly it seems to be coming from "feminists" who would probably look at our MOTHER as the plague. What is sad is I see more and more religious young married mothers saying they want small families. I have even heard the opinion that a large family isn't fair to the children in that family because the parents wouldn't be able to come to every game or support in every activity. Of course most of these people aren't from large families so I just smile and nod thinking really you have no idea the benefits a large family has and how rewarding it is for the parents. While I respect the fact that everyone has a choice and that the size of a family is a primarily between the parents and God I think it's a bit sad this new trend. I also am amazed by the hypocrisy of some getting so defensive of their choice to have small families but critical of others who love being a mother and want more. But what's worse? I have started hearing women say "I'm not meant to be a mother", "I just don't have it in me." This is such an irritating statement. I think "What do you think you were made for" and I seriously don't know how those women who would give anything to be a mother can hear these statements and not throttle the offenders.... but I digress. The main reason for this post is to relate a story from our mother Phyllis Stout biological mother of 16 children. I am paraphrasing her.

"Early June of 2010 one of my female turkey's went missing. Dad and I were sure that a coyote had got her and were a bit sad for our loss of a good hen. A few weeks later when feeding the turkey's and chickens I saw her there waiting for food. She left quickly after eating so I knew she had to be setting (on eggs) somewhere. I also knew that her eggs were no good. Our male turkey had been injured by a dog and was not able to perform his duties so I knew her eggs were not fertilized. I searched frequently for her nesting place but could not find it. In late September I stumbled upon her nest. The gestation period for turkey eggs in 25-30 days and this hen had been setting for 4 months. She looked very weak from lack of food due to the fact she would not leave her nest. She was waiting for her babies to arrive. I tried to get her to move but she just hissed and tried to peck me. There was no way she was giving up. I brought her food and water over the next couple days to keep her strength up. One morning while gathering fresh eggs from the chicken coop I decided to try one more time to get her to move. Again I could not persuade her to leave the nest. Suddenly a light bulb turned on in my head and I got close enough to put some of the chicken eggs under her. I was also able to remove the old turkey eggs. She didn't like it but I managed and she seemed fine since there were eggs under her. I waited to see if she would hatch these chicken eggs and what she would do with the baby chicks. Three weeks passed and our turkey hatched 4 of the 5 eggs. Sometimes with animals you can just tell what their feeling. And she strutted like a proud mama. She was very protective of these chick even though she was very weak still from her malnutrition during the futile months of nesting. Since she couldn't seem to get strength enough to move back to the coop and there was a cold front coming in we decided to build a coop around her and protect her from the elements."
Eventually she gained enough strength to move back to the chicken coop with her babies. To this day she roosts with her chicks (now in their teens) she also calls to them when she feels in danger and they flock to her for protection. It is a powerful thing this motherhood. An innate undeniable purpose that one has. This turkey was starving and dying of thirst all while sitting on rotten eggs. She was prepared to wait as long as she had to, and when she did have her chicks they probably didn't look quite right and I'm sure there has been some communication barriers to cross, but she was JOYFUL, because thats what motherhood is. Some may say she had some mental problem, survival of the fittest and all that. But most sane mothers will tell you that they'd do anything for their children, even risking their own lives. What a beautiful gift to be a mother. So to all those who say motherhood is for the birds, I say I SURE HOPE SO.



Posted by Picasa

4 comments: